In the following youtube video Josh Wills, Senior Director of Data Science at Cloudera, talks about what it is like to be a Data Scientist. The term data scientist means different things to different people. Josh Wills himself has an excellent less-then-140-characters definition of a Data Scientist which goes like this:
“a person who is better at statistics than any software engineer and better at software engineering than any statistician”
In this 33-minute video Josh Wills will take you through all the key components of what it takes to become, work, and think like a Data Scientist.
Here is a short summary of what he touches on during the video:
- What data scientists do?
- The evolution of data storage.
- Extracting business value from data – Data economics.
- Big Data economics.
- Hadoop, Map/Reduce.
- Thinking like a data scientist
- Solving data intensive problems and finding insights.
- Data abudance vs Data scarcity.
- Creating a data science team.
- Designing machine learning models to optimize a business problem.
- Measuring impact.
- and finally introduces to Data Science courses offered by Cloudera.
Cloudera: Training a New Generation of Data Scientists